Friday, April 29, 2011

Temporary Hiatus

So it's been a few days since my last post. Sorry for the wait but I've been ridiculously busy with school and planning a wedding.

But that is neither here nor there this is about trumpets!

So in my absence from blogging I have had the opportunity to work on some really nice horns and some really bad horns. I should have pics up before the end of the night. But I'll just give a brief description of what work was done:

First up is a Conn Vintage One Flugelhorn. The main crook of the bell from the casing to the bore extension was crushed after someone decided it needed stepping on. My boss Ann MacMillan did an amazing job getting the tube back into the right shape. I was responsible for cleaning/polishing. I did run into a slight problem that required the dis/re-assembling of the 3rd valve slide.

Second is a Kanstul rip off of Monet's Prana 3. It LOOKS like a great horn really heavy and has a beautiful finish, but unfortunately it has a small bore and is really really tight. There was nothing seriously wrong with this horn besides it's pinch-y sound.

Next is a horn I don't have photos of but I'll try and get some soon. It is a Schilke 3B and it was really trashed. The horn is a gigging horn so it didn't get a lot of down time. The horn was being eaten from the inside out from "red rot" aka de-zinctification. There were multiple cracks along the bell and nothing was working properly besides the fact that it played. After cleaning the horn of what we could and getting everything working, my boss came up with an en genius solution to the multiple bell crook cracks. Pictures will show how she has a normal brace style patch along the outside of the crook and along the side she beaded a piece of wire giving it an almost tuba like look.

Regular updates should be incoming from now on since school is winding down to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment