Saturday, March 2, 2013

3/1/2013

The Hardest Part - Coldplay

So I have been on a serious hiatus from blogging and updating this thing. I'm not sorry, just thought you should know. I figured since it is a slower season I should probably update more often and also I am learning to code so this gives me a place to practice. 

Well everything has been pretty normal going around work. There was only one project that I really took as a giant learning experience: overhauling and restoring a Selmer Series 3 Bari-Sax. Here are some pictures of the before and after. As you can see in the pictures this instrument has seen some years of battle. It was a horn from Dallas ISD, and if you read some of my earlier posts concerning the condition of their instruments you know exactly what I am talking about when I say 'battle'. 

Well my boss decided that it would be a a good experience for me to completely overhaul this: disassemble, clean, remove dents, straighten the body, level tone holes, re-cork and re-pad the keys and then make it play. I started working on saxophones in April of last year. So I had less than a years experience on saxophones in general then add to that it is the largest instrument and it has to be perfect; I was feeling quite nervous about the whole process. 

Well it took me about a week and in that time I learned a lot more about saxophones, specifically: patience, as close to perfection, and make sure to check the side keys very slowly. Over all I feel like the experience helped me grow as a repairman and as a human in general. 

I was very angry while working on the saxophone because I was so concerned with money. I was falling behind on my paycheck and was so upset by that I tried to take every shortcut I could think of to make it work only to have every single one blow up in my face. A bible verse that was very near to my heart and thoughts was Psalms 46:10, "Be still and know I am the LORD." 

The reason I would think of this verse specifically is because I have it on the cover of my notebook at work. But it applies because while I was getting so upset I started to micromanage and cut corners because I was so obsessed with the end result. I began to rely on my conscious skills. However when I started to rely on God for peace rather than skill, I started to notice the work became easier to me. It wasn't that God granted me skills I didn't already, but rather the Holy Spirit interceded for me and gave me peace and stillness to my weary, wandering, and frustrated mind.

I think that there is a lesson there for all of us: when we get caught up in the action, or duty or encased in our own mind we begin to start over-think, over-compensate, and over-analyze our actions. What we need in those moments is clarity and peace. I get my peace from the Lord, it is my hope that you would too.

"...but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." - Joshua 24:15

1 comment: